Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Church needs to be STRANGE

So I already posted once today, but I am just so irritated and hurt for a random stranger in the comments of a blog I want to scream. 

I frequent a different blog and I re-read a post and then went reading through the comments.  I came across a woman who was struggling with the fact that her church family is essentially fake.  She stated "...at my church, your "old" story is acceptable as long as that was who you were and not who you are today.  To admit that you are CURRENTLY struggling with something -- oh, no.  We can't do that.  Unless it's a *Christian* struggle (I don't spend enough time reading Scripture ... My prayer time is lacking)."  I wanted to cry for this random woman.

Our church is supposed to lift us up ALL THE TIME.  You know the saying "God is good....All the time." Yeah that should be us too. 

I am SOOOOOOO blessed to have a church family who is good...all the time.  Whether I am smiling and laughing or in the darkest crevice of my cave.  They are good when I am volunteering my time, and when I say "I can't do this anymore."  They are good when I tell my testimony of how broken I was when I was 17 and they are even better when I tell how I am broken RIGHT NOW.

I have church friends FAMILY who are there for me at the drop of a hat.  Who sit with me and let me talk and cry until 1:30 in the morning.  People who will come over and sort through socks with me because I really just need someone there.  People who will take my children overnight and do fun things with them while I stay at the hospital with a sick child.  People who will be at the hospital with me and that sick child.

Church family who will cry and pray and hug and hope and problem solve all while NOT judging.  People who have been there and done that and who will take up my fight with me.

And I have said that it is so strange because my church, does it right.  We don't judge.  We don't belittle.  We lift up when you are down.  And it really irks me that "strange" is the word to describe it.  I mean..why have a church family if they are judgmental and belittling and only lift you when you are up?  Seriously, we get enough of that from the WORLD.  Shouldn't our church be a "comfort"?

I don't know....just ticks me off.  Prayers and love for that nameless woman commenter.  God knows who you are and where you are.  I pray for a change in the hearts of those who attend your church.  I pray you may find comfort in the most important place...His arms. 

6 comments:

  1. Wow. I am that random woman (I followed the link you posted) and I am literally sitting here weeping. In my dining room, all alone, weeping. I don't even know what to say -- thank you for noticing me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anessa, that was a very powerful post you just made and I am proud to be a member of the same church as you. I am always dismayed at the number of Christians who just "don't get it". You get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Anessa. Well said. And I too am thankful for our church family, that acts like a family. Loving each other, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's disheartening the number of churches who 1) judge and at the same time 2) don't deal with things in their churches. They assume everyone's doing fine, and that moment is when they start falling apart and falling away from the Word. Good Lord, PAUL struggled many many MANY times. He was a work in progress, and so are we. "Blessed are those who are merciful, for they shall obtain mercy." Matthew 5.

    LOVE YA SIS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey ... FYI ... three weeks ago, we went to a different church. We've felt welcomed and accepted and encouraged. So much so, that today (Tuesday), I went for a morning Ladies Bible Study class that was starting up. Just thought you might like to know ...

    ReplyDelete