Saturday, November 6, 2010

My Last Reward

Today is the day we are celebrating my daughter's birthday.  She won't actually turn 5 until Monday, but today is the day we are celebrating.

Five.  All fingers on one hand.  Wow.  It is so surreal that she is that old. 

I was thinking the other day how once she turns 5 I won't have any children in that "pre-school" age range any more.  Or again.  Ever.  It seems like her milestones have hit me more than the other 2 kids' have because it always is followed with that.  This is it...forever...never again will we experience this first.  Ever.

It is odd, yet amazing.  Not only are my kids growing up...so am I.  I have been growing with them for the past, gulp, eleven years.  Some of my favorite lessons are these:

*Lighten up!  Nothing will go as planned so just let go.  Don't be a "fun sucker" (as my husband tends to call me.)

*No wishy washy.  You can't expect them to mind when you REALLY need them to, if you don't make them when it doesn't really count.  Say what you mean, and really mean what you say.

*Instill kindness.  Nothing makes my blood boil more than when my children are mean and nothing can melt my soul more than when they say a kind word to one another all on their own.

*Trust your gut.  Other parents, whether they are your own or other friends, are wonderful tools, but noone knows YOUR children better than you.  You will always have the best answer, even if you don't know it.

Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him. Psalm 127:3

No comments:

Post a Comment