Friday, June 17, 2011

Father's Day

Father's Day is bittersweet for me.  It is a day to celebrate your dad and give him presents and spend the day with him and thank him for being a great dad.  But since I don't have my dad here to do those things, it makes me very sad and I want to say "Fooey" on the whole thing.  However, I can't do that.  Why?  Because it isn't fair to a different very special Dad in my life....my husband.  See last year was my first fatherless Father's day and I couldn't even look at a father's day card without tearing up.  So my children made their own for Scott and that was pretty much all that was done.  Anyone else might have gotten upset or hurt over this, but not Scott.  He completely understood and had no problem.  Besides what is better than handmade cards?

However, this year, as painful as it may be, I am going to celebrate Father's Day.  I am going to celebrate it for the best dad in the world...Scott.


Prom 98...probably youngest picture I have of Scott

When Scott became a dad, he was clueless.  Truly, we both were, but he was especially clueless.  It isn't that hard to believe because how many 18 year old boys do YOU know who can change diapers and heat bottles and feed a baby and bathe a baby and can even HOLD a baby?  He certainly didn't know how to do any of that.  But he did.  He didn't mind a 2 am feeding.  He actually made use of it.  Once when Joel was a baby Scott was up with him in the night.  There was nothing on tv, but infomercials so while he was feeding Joel he taught himself to say the alphabet backwards.  And yes...he can still do it.  (I know...weird!) 


Scott also had a weird connection with Joel.  He could get him to calm down almost instantly by singing to him.  Singing what?  Twinkle Twinkle Little Star?  Nah...Mary Had a Little Lamb?  Nope.  Maybe it was Frere Jacques?  No can do.  It was either "Under the Bridge" by Red Hot Chili Peppers or "Bad to the Bone."  No joke.  Joel LOVED them and would calm down as soon as Scott started in.  Note...Scott started in...Mama couldn't do it, it took Daddy. 

Rhianna was a daddy's girl from day one.  Unlike Joel (who didn't like me enough), I was able to nurse Rhianna.  Scott was on board but was bummed because he really wanted to be able to feed her. I was able to pump one bottle a day.  It was used at 3 am for a nighttime Daddy/Daughter feeding.  One of my favorite memories of Scott and Rhianna is when she was so little.  She would sleep with her head on Scott's chest, her little baby butt up in the air with her legs tucked under her on Scott's stomach.  She would fall asleep instantly.

 



When Zaia came along, I didn't know how Scott would be able to work having TWO daughters.  I mean, can you be wrapped around 2 little fingers?  The answer is OH YEAH!!  Zaia is a full on love girl and her number one target is Daddy.  She loves to climb on him and hang on him and hug and kiss him. 





Scott is an amazing father.  He has always been right there in the trenches.  He has been pooped on, peed on, puked on, cried on, snotted on and of course, loved on.  Scott is a great dad, but of course how could he not be?  He is just an overgrown kid himself...

1 comment:

  1. Haha.. I loved this post, especially the last line! Maybe being an overgrown kid is what makes the Wilcoxons such great dads! :)

    ReplyDelete