Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Dee, dee, deeeeee

I don't feel like I have a whole lot to say today, but I am blogging anyway.  There must be a reason why my mother nicknamed me "Windy" growing up right? 

Today I finally got my act together and made doctor's appointments for my kids.  They aren't "my kids are sick we must get them to the dr" appointments.  Aside from  Zaia's yearly cardio appointment, they were all "let's get ready for kindergarten/second/sixth grade" appointments.  I made EIGHT different appointments today.  Yes you read that right.  EIGHT.  We have dentist, eye, regular and cardiology appointments scattered on my calendar from April through June.  I don't believe it should have taken this long, but I was on the phone with all those different offices for over an hour.  That is right OVER an hour.  And I am sure by the time the summer is over we will have to add orthodontist to that list.

Yes, Joel needs braces.  They have actually been telling us this since he was 6 but really?  Six?!  Come on!  He barely had any adult teeth.  I was not going to put braces on him at 6 and then again at 12 and then again at 20.  (I don't actually believe the third time would happen, but you get it.) 

Neither Scott nor I have ever had braces.  So when he asks about the pain or what it feels like, we are going to be completely clueless.  Completely.  No clue.  I know that some of my friends had them and they got to pick colors.  I know that they couldn't chew gum (something he doesn't do anyway) or eat popcorn (once again, non issue for him) but anything else....I have no clue.  I remember going to the ortho with my brothers but I always sat out in the waiting room by myself when my mom went back with them. So good luck Joel.  :)

So if any of you are former brace wearing people, let me know what I need to say to him.  Or if I need to say anything at all.  It could just be a surprise.  I imagine that it will be a painful surprise...poor kid.  But hey....the bright side is he will have straight teeth.  He doesn't like his crooked teeth.  So anyway...yes.  Leave a comment about your adventures with braces.  And click on an ad or two.  :)

2 comments:

  1. My co-workers daughter got them in 2nd grade...evidently its a new thing they are trying where your adult teeth "grow" in place vs. trying to have them straightened later....
    My thoughts....I don't really remember anything about having braces except that I had them. So.... as I tell my sister with just about everything....this will pass...and it wont seem like such a big deal later in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm. Hmm. Aaron and I never had braces, but both my sisters did. I know that one shouldn't drink dark-colored colas and always always always wear the rubber bands if the ortho says to. I had a friend who had her braces on for much longer than she bargained for because she didn't wear her bands.

    ReplyDelete