Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Weird new passion...

Maybe "passion" is a bit overkill, but at least a new interest. 

So yesterday my mom called and let me know that she occasionally scours the newspaper where my grandma used to live.  She happened upon the obituary of my grandma's cousin who passed away in January.  We had no idea that she had died.  It was hurtful at first.  You know....how come no one called us?  But this is just the sort of thing that I was fearful? concerned? for after Mommo (my grandma <3) died.  Dad (who passed in October of 2009) was an only child.  (Well...in our mind.  He does have some half siblings, but whatever...I don't count them as he didn't know any of them until he was 50.) Mommo (who passed in October of 2010) was also an only child.  So not only are there no aunts, uncles or cousins, there are also no great aunts, uncles, or cousins.  Just Mommo's cousins and their families.  So anyhoo....

I got to digging.  Because I am nosy.  (Either I get this trait from my mother or she gets it from me...we can't decide.)  There is a man who has spent YEARS researching one line of my family.  He has traced back lineage to my 5th great grandfather who was a Captain in the REVOLUTIONARY WAR.  That's right.  REVOLUTIONARY.  As is bye bye England...no taxation without representation...we don't want no redcoats...REVOLUTIONARY WAR.  Pretty stinking cool.  In this same line, my 3rd great grandfather was a Captain with the Home Guard for the Union forces.  This story is unbelievable.  While he was called out, his house was burned down by Rebel forces.  His wife, who was blind, was allowed to be led safely from the house.  The family spent that winter in a CAVE!  Yes a cave and survived by eating "snow birds."  WHAT?!  That is some story.  I couldn't spend the winter in a cabin let alone a cave.  Amazing. 

So now I am interested in how far I can trace things.  I am not a researcher by any means, but it seems like there are some researchers who have done alot of work on this and I want to find out what they know.  I'll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment