Monday, May 23, 2011

Grief, Guilt and all that goes with it

This afternoon I am off accompanied by my three children to Clinton, Ky.  It's a small town in Western Ky.  Very homey.  I like it.  Unfortunately we are not going for a vacation.  We are going because my Grandmother died last Thursday night at the age of 93.

I am having LOTS of mixed emotions.  Of course I am sad, but I can't help but be excited for her.  She gets to live with JESUS.  Jesus ya'll!  No more pain, or hard time getting around.  No more 4 walls of a nursing home caging her in.  She gets to skip and run and laugh all the way to Jesus' feet!  Plus, in my Heaven, you remember your loved ones and have a grand party whenever.  Which means Granddaddy met her with open arms and overalls. 

But the worst emotion I am feeling right now is jealousy.  Jealousy for my kids.  I had almost 30 years with both my grandmas in my life.  I had 15 years with one grandpa and 13 with the other.  I even got time with my great grandparents.  But my children only had 3, 4, 9 years with their grandpa.  THREE YEARS.  FOUR YEARS.  NINE YEARS.    And all that I wrote in that last paragraph applies to my dad too.  But you know what my reaction is.

FOOEY!

Fooey...because 61 is TOO young.  3 is NOT an appropriate age to lose your Papaw.  28 is NOT an appropriate age to bury your father.

And I feel so GUILTY.  I feel guilty because I should be grieving for Grandmother.  I should be reflecting on her life and all the memories with her.  And all I see is my dad.  All I hear is his last words to me.  All I feel is this HOLE that my DADDY filled up and it is empty.

So yeah.  At times I feel as if I have grieved and moved on.  I can talk about Dad and not bawl.  I can laugh at him and his horrendous spelling.  I can see pictures and smile.  But then there are times when the mention of his name brings torrential amounts of tears.  Watching a video and hearing his voice, and I am hurting and aching just like the day he died. 

So as I am attending my grandmother's visitation and funeral and visiting with family I haven't seen in so long, I will be thankful for her long life.  I will be thankful for years and years with 4 children, 10 grandchildren, 24 great grandchildren and 1 great great grandchild.  I will be joyous that she is living it up in Heaven, partying with Jesus.  But I will also, secretly, be harboring my anger and jealousy that my dad didn't do those things.  And hopefully I will be able to work on those feelings.  But to be honest.  Not now.  Maybe next week or next month.  But not today.  And not tomorrow.  *Sigh*  Bare with my God, I am still just a child in need of your guidance and patience.

2 comments:

  1. Those are totally normal emotions to have.. I would definitely feel the same way. I hope you have safe travels! Love you sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers and love to you friend. Embrace your crazy emotions. We all have them, and I'm proud of you for recognizing them. Isn't it great that God knows us and loves us for all our mixed-upness?
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete